During the session I will aim to provide general idea of coaching tools that are helpful when Agile transformation of the project is performed or when team members are interested to inspect and adapt project processes.
You will get clear understanding what is coaching and what is not, why coaching can be helpful in company/project Agile transformation, what are the recommendations and best practices, as well as barriers we can face when performing coaching.
To get more details on the session, I would like to provide you with an example and show how the coahcing techniques can be applied on practice, how a coach or a team member who is aware of the coaching tools can assist others to find a way out of a complicated situation or/and explore possible solutions of the problem.
Let's discuss T-G.R.O.W usage within Scrum framework, here is a case about Retrospective event that team members dont wish to attend. Once I dealt with such case that a Scrum Master faced during his daily work.
I strustured the coaching session with Scrum Master using T-G.R.O.W model where T stands for Topic, G - Goal, R - Reality, O - Options, W - Wrap-up.
Hence, the Topic of our personal coaching session was a Retro that was attended only by a part of the team and people were not involved during it. The Goal was to have a Retro that is valuable and interesting to the team. In Reality on that project some people dont see any use of retrospective and as a result skip it from time to time. We discussed several Options with the SM to solve the situation.
- Discuss with a team a reason of retro ignorance. Make a retro on a retro to see, what can be improved;
- Change retro format, there are dozens of it;
- Change retro time, as maybe the current simply is not suitable for some team members;
- Explain retro aim once again to the team;
- Escalation to the manager. Its not an Agile way of solving problems, though in some cases it can work and can be taken into consideration;
- Focus on involvement of all team members, try to hear not only the most vocal ones;
- Bring sweets and Coca-Cola from project budget to the Retro
We talked over all these options and agreed to announce Retro aims once again for a team and change Retro format choosing more dynamic and amusing one.
During the wrap-up we defined the following action items:
- Communicate Retro goal for the team after the standup on the day, when Retro should take place;
- Kindly invite all the team to take part in a Retro of new more amusing format, suggest just to try.
As you see during this coaching session a coachee together with the coach explicitly identified a goal, investigated the existing challenges, listed options, how the goal can be reached overcoming the challenges and set particular action items with due dates for problem solving.
Usage of coaching models helps us to stay focused, take into account the current situation and the desired outcomes and integrate particular steps into our future activities.