Submitting a Talk
Choose a speaker
Valuable Agile Retrospectives Training
19 Sep 2015
Adopting agile often doesn’t go as smoothly as expected in an organization. Becoming agile is a learning process which requires that you reflect regularly and adopt your way of working. Valuable Agile Retrospectives provide the solution for a successful agile adoption at all levels in the organization. Retrospectives help you to apply agile practices effectively. With Retrospectives teams and their stakeholders can continuously improve themselves to deliver more value. Retrospective facilitators need to have a toolbox of retrospective exercises and the skills to design and lead valuable agile retrospectives.
Agile retrospectives help teams to continuously improve by reflecting at the end of each iteration to learn what is going well and what can be improved, and to do improvement actions in the next iteration
This workshop is intended for:
- Retrospective facilitators
- Agile coaches
- Scrum masters
- Team, product or project managers
- Anybody involved in retrospectives
In this workshop you will learn to do agile self-assessments and readiness checks and to design and facilitate retrospectives that help organizations to become more agile and lean.
The best way to learn retrospectives is through experience by doing them yourself and participate in retrospectives. In this interactive workshop you will be doing several agile iterations where each of them use a different kind of retrospective. You can choose from several retrospective exercises, like:
- Effective questioning
- Dealing with feelings in teams
- Improving using strengths with Solution Focused
- Root cause analysis of problems
- Improving collaboration in projects
- Asking why?
In this workshop you will learn different exercises that you can use to facilitate retrospectives, supported with the “what” and “why” of retrospectives, the business value and benefits that they can bring you, and advice for introducing and improving retrospectives.
Apply and Improve
Two important conditions to make retrospectives valuable are to have clear goals (why do you do retrospectives) and experienced facilitators (Scrum Masters and / or Agile Coaches). In this workshop you will learn how to adopt and apply retrospectives in your own organization and how to provide retrospective facilitators with a toolbox with retrospective exercises enabling them to do valuable agile retrospectives with teams which contribute to the goals and results of your organization!
What will you get out of the workshop Valuable Agile Retrospectives
- Understanding of the why and how of continuous improvement and how retrospectives can contribute
- Know how to establish the pre-requirements for retrospectives and create safe environments to run a retrospectives
- Exercises for doing effective and efficient retrospectives
- Approaches to deploy retrospectives and to improve their usage and results
- How to scale retrospectives in the organisation
Day 1: Introduction to Retrospectives and Basic Exercises
- What are retrospectives, purpose and how they fit into agile
- Preconditions for doing agile retrospectives
- Gettig actions done from retrospectives
- Basic exercises
Day 2: Advanced Agile Retrospectives
- Retrospective smells
- Getting more value out of your agile retrospectives
- Facilitation skills for agile retrospectives
- Scaling retrospectives
- Advanced exercises
Attendant of this workshop will receive a free copy of the book Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives in English or a copy of a translated edition.
Ben Linders is a Senior Consultant in Agile, Lean, Quality and Process Improvement, based in The Netherlands. Co-author of Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives.
As an advisor, coach and trainer he helps organizations by deploying effective software development and management practices. He focuses on continuous improvement, collaboration and communication, and professional development, to deliver business value to customers.
Ben is an active member of several networks on Agile, Lean and Quality, and a frequent speaker and writer. He shares his experience in a bilingual blog (Dutch and English) and as an editor for Agile at InfoQ. You can find him on twitter: @BenLinders.
- first day "Introduction to Retrospectives and Basic Exercises" - $400
- second day "Advanced Agile Retrospectives" - $400
- both days "Basic & Advanced" - $600